Are you an Uber driver? Are you thinking of becoming an Uber driver? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then this is a must read for you, your business and personal security.
What is Uber?
Since its launch in 2009, Uber is one of the easiest driving jobs to get into. Uber, a ridesharing business, facilitates access to transportation via a smartphone app which connects passengers with drivers. For less than the cost of a traditional taxi service, passengers can ‘hail’ a vehicle to pick them up. There are various options for an Uber driver including standard UberX which has the lowest entry requirements; or Uber Black – the luxury end of the services.
The beauty of Uber is that it allows you to provide paid transportation services with your personal vehicle. It allows you to “drive when you want; earn what you need”. You are therefore essentially, your own boss, an ‘entrepreneur’ in the making. And with that comes responsibility – to yourself and your customers. And this is where insurance comes in.
You may be told that you do not need special auto insurance to start as an Uber driver. But did you know that most personal auto insurance plans carry an exemption for ‘driving for hire’? This means that in the event of an accident, your claim can be denied if you had a paying customer in your personal car at the time of the accident.
You might think it is not necessary to carry special car insurance since you would be covered under Uber’s insurance policy. However:
- Uber’s insurance only covers you when the app is on (at a minimal level) and at a higher level when you are actively engaged in transporting a passenger.
- Some aspects of Uber’s insurance carry a deductible. Would you have that kind of cash in the event of an accident?
- Uber’s insurance is limited liability and may not cover your vehicle if you do not have specific types of insurance.
Options for Auto Insurance
Your options for auto insurance as an Uber driver are:
- Personal car insurance: of which most exclude driving for hire and which will not pay a claim under such circumstances.
- Commercial car insurance: which is generally expensive and will require you to obtain a commercial driver’s license.
- Insurance for Uber drivers: which is tailor-made for drivers under this rideshare service and cheaper than commercial insurance.
Your Best Option for Auto Insurance as an Uber Driver
It is hard to find quality insurance that covers a rideshare service such as Uber. This is why Mr. Auto Insurance of Merritt Island, a leader in low cost auto insurance since 1978, is the perfect choice for obtaining insurance as an Uber driver.
You are still responsible for the costs associated with an accident even if you do not have sufficient insurance coverage. This means that your home and personal property are at risk. As a responsible entrepreneur, you must have the right car insurance. Do not put your business and personal security at risk. Contact Mr Auto Insurance of Merritt Island, for the best Uber car insurance to meet your needs.